Class GCA 2-6-2+2-6-2

Class GCA 2-6-2+2-6-2

Class GCA 2-6-2+2-6-2


HISTORY

Class GCA 2-6-2+2-6-2

The GCA was designed as an improvement on his experimental GC by Colonel Collins. The 33 locomotives of this class were delivered in 1927 by Fried Krupp of Germany. The locomotive had a coal capacity of 7 tons and 2000 gallons of water. They were designed for service on the Natal South Coast, but were eventually found operating on the Underberg and Greytown branches as well as Nelspruit-Graskop branch line. They were all withdrawn from service by 1978.


 

MODEL DETAILS

The kit is available only in 16.5mm gauge but Precision Miniatures can supply the necessary drive axles to convert the model to 12mm gauge. This kit is constructed almost entirely of etched brass with some white metal detailcastings and nickel silver running and valve gear. Like the GMAM the rear engine is driven, while the front engine free-wheels. The model uses a Mashima can motor and a worm and pinion drive. The rear engine provides pickup on one side while front engine picks up the opposite polarity. This is a very complex model to build and it is only recommended for experienced loco kit builders. Currently Precision Miniatures does not offer a ready to run version due to the amount of man hours involved in assembly. We have in the past successfully installed a sound decoder and speaker in this loco. As with the 6J we recommend curves no sharper that 550 mm for satisfactory operation.